Inglewood Store

Inglewood Service Station

Inglewood Store

By the 1920s a gas station and grocery store were operating on the west side of East Lake Sammamish Road just north of Inglewood Hill Road.  In 1929, Leo and Lena Schaller began running the gas station and store.  The store served as a polling place through at least the 1930s and early 1940s, and both Leo and Lena served as precinct committeemen for the Inglewood voting precinct. The service station operated until 1944; afterward, Lena Schaller converted the business into an antiques shop. 

By the mid-1970s the store was closed. But the building soldiered on intact into the twenty-first century, a silent sentinel to Inglewood’s earlier, quieter years as development erupted on the Sammamish Plateau during the last quarter of the twentieth century. In 2003 the building seemed to vanish overnight when it was quickly torn down and hauled away with no fanfare, and with it one of the final links to Inglewood’s past vanished. 
Gone, but not forgotten.  An area map on Page 8 of the December 2006 Verizon telephone directory for the Eastside (of Seattle) lists “Inglewood” on the eastern shore of Lake Sammamish, a reminder that the past lives with us in the present. 

Freed House Freed House